It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Strategy and Discussion: Razorscale (normal mode)
 Post subject: Strategy and Discussion: Razorscale (normal mode)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:11 pm 
Noob

This fight is apparently still undergoing a fair amount of work on PTR. So these are just my impressions, given what i've read.

First, a movie:

Razorscale is the third boss in Ulduar, and is a large, iron-bound protodrake circling in the air in, fittingly enough, Razorscale's Aerie, a courtyard-style area east of where you fight Ignis.

As you approach him, some Explorers' League dwarves are trying to bring Razorscale down by harpooning him, but they need your help defending the harpoon guns, since they're under constant assault by Iron Dwarves (they burrow up through the ground in those burrower screw things they have).

Razorscale will also be throwing Lava Bombs on the ground that have a 6 yard radius. Move to avoid the fire. Yep, don't stand in the fire.

Razorscale will alternate between air and ground phases. Adds can spawn while Razorscale is landing, it looks like, so make sure to deal with them.

On the ground, Razorscale will need to be tanked. He has a Flame Breath that hits for 12-18k. Also creates a charred earth type zone that does 5k dps fire damage for 25 seconds, so the tank will need to turn / move Razorscale after each breath.

At 35 percent or so, Razorscale will land for good.

Razorscale will also continue throwing out Lava Bombs during ground phase, and will also aoe cast a Flame Buffet debuff (remember dragonhawk phase of Zul'Jin?). The flame buffet is dispellable however, so our group will likely have to strike a balance between grouping up mildly in order to cover everyone with mass dispel, while not being too close as to instagib people with a poorly timed Lava Bomb. With 10, it shouldn't be too hard to keep people in range but spread out.

Razorscale also occasionally does a wing buffet that knocks everyone within 35 yards back; people will take some falling damage, casters should try to stay at range.

Feedback posts from EU R&D test forum. Ignore the poopsockers who want the fight to be more like M'uru. They want every fight to be like M'uru:

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 8451&sid=1
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 4962&sid=1

Achievements

• A Quick Shave - Defeat Razorscale without allowing her to fly into the air more than once.
• Minimal Casualties - Defeat Razorscale without any friendly NPCs dying during the fight.
• Iron Dwarf, Medium Rare - Defeat x Iron Dwarves with Razorscale’s Flame Breath within y seconds. (This would seem to indicate the tank can turn Razorgore to blast the adds, which seems very very cool.)

Listen to my podcast, Prefer Not To! It will be just like back when we used Vent, only I can't hear you calling me an idiot!

Post subject: Re: Strategy and Discussion: Razorscale (normal mode)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:42 pm 
Noob

Razor targets a player with his bomb. Apparently the player and those nearby can move before the bomb hits the ground, thus avoiding the bomb.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 pm 
Noob

To further elicit upon this, you can set up a focus frame targeted on Razorscale to see who he will be fireballing next.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:00 am 
Noob

Ok this is wat Im thinkin at 50 percent stage:

Ok so tank 1 (Warrier tank) will face dragen toward harpoons. Then ok when too many fire patches on ground (which are avoided by slight rotations or can back up some, they are only ~6 yards wide) and the warrior gets 2 hot the other tank will taunt dragen so dragen faces west. This is like at 2 debuffs since each debuff ("Fuse Armor" will reduce armer by 20% EACH so thats y u need 2 tanks.)

ALL IMAGES AND STRATIGIES ARE 2009 COPYRIGHT TAMRAINE PRODUCTIONS LLC CO. AND USE ELSEWARE WILL MEAN I SUE FOR DOLARS U BETTER WATCH OUT MY FREND IS A LAWYER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:28 am 
Noob

Works for me. Any plan that lets the tanks predictably control the dragon facing would make me less nervous. Feels like Russian Roulette out there with the dragon spinning around. Not a dig at Arroll, just saying there were shortcomings to our former approach :p