It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Strategy and Discussion: Hodir (Hard Mode)
 Post subject: Strategy and Discussion: Hodir (Hard Mode)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:47 am 
Noob

Start with this video:

new vid -- this group appears to have at least a few melee and is kiting boss around room to maximize buffs.

Listen to my podcast, Prefer Not To! It will be just like back when we used Vent, only I can't hear you calling me an idiot!

Post subject: Re: Strategy and Discussion: Hodir (Hard Mode)
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:26 pm 
Noob

There are a lot of elements that have to come together for this fight, but I wanna start talking about a baseline of how to get there, incrementally.

I think if we go in with arroll tanking in frost gear, and the rest of the raid in max frost gear, and we can kill him, we start with that as a baseline. Then as the raid gears up, we use less gear and start focusing on fire / moonlight shafts / spark buffs -- all of which we must stack to beat the 3 min timer.

Listen to my podcast, Prefer Not To! It will be just like back when we used Vent, only I can't hear you calling me an idiot!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:10 pm 
Noob

With 7 dps (1 tank, 2 heals) and a tank doing 2000 dps, required per player dps is about 6,150.

Also, the video linked in the first post appears to be Thorim.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:22 pm 
Noob

Make it more, cause there is no way in hell I can do 2000 dps. Under the best circumstances I can do maybe 1700. In frost gear, jumping up and down, running around to avoid nasty zones and not being able to get any buffs, I think it drops to around 1400. Ish.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:09 pm 
Noob

zyzy wrote:
With 7 dps (1 tank, 2 heals) and a tank doing 2000 dps, required per player dps is about 6,150.

Also, the video linked in the first post appears to be Thorim.

And I think that's within the realm of possibility a) once we gear and b) once people pay better attention to the buffs. Right now, i'd venture to guess almost no attention is being paid to the buffs. And yes, video is wrong. I'll move it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:21 pm 
Noob

but if we want to talk raid composition, i'm all ears. I don't care what toons people bring as long as they can do the numbers and they actually improve the raid for a given fight.

i'd like zy's pally for sharding, but meh, if we run short i can always shanghai another naxx run.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:00 pm 
Noob

Moving the boss next to moonlight for melee seems key. Keeping a full fire stack up (+60% spell damage) seems key. Casters in moonlight seems key.

Watching the video, we see that getting hit 4x by icicles and not standing in buffs very often is apparently skillful enough.. as long as you have good gear.. and a mage and boomkin doing 8-9k dps each.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:07 pm 
Noob

Also should probably be using Flametongue totem instead of Frost resist totem, since it doesn't double up with pally auras.

144 spell power is pretty significant for healers and Ned, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:35 pm 
Noob

Yeah pretty much always want flametongue totem since the aura change.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:54 am 
Noob

We got very lucky last night with the lightning buff.

http://www.llewville.com/parses/05.20.0 ... html#auras

As i'm sure you all know, one of the NPCs --- Elementalist Avuun, the draenei shaman -- applies a buff to 1 raid member at a time that has the following effect:

Quote:
Conjures a storm cloud charged with lightning bolts on a random friendly player. While enveloped in this cloud, up to 4 friendly units the player touches will be struck by lightning and charged with Storm Power, increasing their critical strike damage by 135% for 30 sec.

The first four of his casts were all on melee, so none of the charges were unused.

However:

If you are ranged / healer and get the buff, the smartest option is to just run straight to melee and stay there until the buff is gone (30 seconds). You'll note that when Ruelala got the debuff, she only gave it to one other person, Sojourner (as seen here under "auras applied to others:" http://www.llewville.com/parses/05.20.0 ... html#auras).

Summary: If you get the storm cloud buff (you will be sparking and have lightning on you), run to melee range to give them the buff.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:37 am 
Noob

Storm Power is worth moving to pick up. Just have to run through someone with the buff. More than doubles the damage of crits, which stacks pretty darn well with singed. Some 10-man parses I've seen with > 50k wrath crits, and > 70k starfires, for example. A few buffs and a little bit of good luck with crits, and direct cast folks (mages, locks, boomkins, eleshams) are looking at 8k+ dps.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:40 pm 
Noob

Given our preponderance of melee DPS, we're going to have to kite Hodir around the room to maximize buff time on melee.

So how do we make this happen?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:40 pm 
Noob

Some seemingly sensible advice from a poster at the R&D forum:

Quote:
For casters: Everyone groups up on the first fires in order to fully stack singed. If there's a moonbeam in range of a fire, great. If not, prefer the fire until singed is fully stacked.

After that, assign one person in 10, 2-3 in 25 to break out the npc mages after a flash freeze so that another fire gets up promptly. It is then that one person's job (and one of the 2-3 in 25-man) to always be in the fire to constantly refresh the Singed buff. When Flash Freeze starts casting, that person begins spamming their fastest spells to make sure Singed gets refreshed before the fires are put out. Everyone else can favor the moonbeams. (Again, if there's a moonbeam in range of a fire, all the better, but favor the moonbeam > fire).

By grouping up in the fires to start, then the moonbeams afterwards, ranged has made their own 'camp', minus the one permanent toasty-fire-Singed person, which ensures that Stormcloud gets spread around. If the toasty fire person gets it, he moves to spread it then goes back to the fire.

For melee: Everyone groups up and stands in moonbeams when possible. It is the tank's responsibility to position Hodir so that melee can stand in moonbeams. If there's a moonbeam close to a fire, great. Otherwise, just favor the moonbeams. You don't have to move to spread around the Stormcloud because you are all grouped up. Melee have it easy. If you're doing bad dps as melee on Hodir, then you're just bad or your tank needs to work on active positioning and repositioning.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:04 pm 
Noob

I found ranged easier than melee. By quite a bit. Far fewer icicles. Easier targeting and positioning. I suppose if we had only one or two melee it would be different.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:40 am 
Noob

For those of you who use Power Auras Classic, here are a few scripts for Fire, Moonbeam, and storm power that notify you when you got em.

Quote:
Toasty fire -

gcd:bofalse; soundfile:stQUESTADDED; owntex:bofalse; b:nu0.18823529411765; anim1:nu4; duration:nu0; g:nu0.14509803921569; thresholdinvert:bofalse; ignoremaj:botrue; opt2:nu0; speed:nu1; stance:nu10; icon:stInterface\Icons\Inv_Misc_SummerFest_BrazierOrange; size:nu0.51999998092651; torsion:nu1; multiids:st; stacksOperator:st=; realaura:nu1; timer:bofalse; mine:bofalse; optunitn:bofalse; inverse:bofalse; begin:nu0; off:bofalse; isdebuff:bofalse; textaura:bofalse; customname:st; target:bofalse; combat:nu0; wowtex:bofalse; groupany:bofalse; customsound:st; timerduration:nu0; exact:bofalse; threshold:nu50; unitn:stOnly for raid/group.; bufftype:nu1; stacks:nu0; aurastextfont:nu1; party:bofalse; customtex:bofalse; focus:bofalse; isenchant:bofalse; raid:bofalse; isdebufftype:bofalse; texture:nu13; buffname:stToasty Fire; anim2:nu0; opt1:nu0; r:nu1; randomcolor:bofalse; y:nu86; alpha:nu1; aurastext:st; x:nu0; texmode:nu1; symetrie:nu0; ismounted:bofalse; targetfriend:bofalse; sound:nu5; isinraid:botrue; finish:nu1

Storm Power
gcd:bofalse; soundfile:stQUESTCOMPLETED; owntex:bofalse; b:nu1; anim1:nu4; duration:nu0; g:nu0.22745098039216; thresholdinvert:bofalse; ignoremaj:botrue; opt2:nu0; speed:nu1; stance:nu10; icon:stInterface\Icons\Spell_Shaman_StaticShock; size:nu0.49999997019768; torsion:nu1; multiids:st; stacksOperator:st=; realaura:nu1; timer:bofalse; mine:bofalse; optunitn:bofalse; inverse:bofalse; begin:nu0; off:bofalse; isdebuff:bofalse; textaura:bofalse; customname:st; target:bofalse; combat:nu0; wowtex:bofalse; groupany:bofalse; customsound:st; timerduration:nu0; exact:bofalse; threshold:nu50; unitn:stOnly for raid/group.; bufftype:nu1; stacks:nu0; aurastextfont:nu1; party:bofalse; customtex:bofalse; focus:bofalse; isenchant:bofalse; raid:bofalse; isdebufftype:bofalse; texture:nu3; buffname:stStorm Power; anim2:nu0; opt1:nu0; r:nu0.49803921568627; randomcolor:bofalse; y:nu74; alpha:nu1; aurastext:st; x:nu0; texmode:nu1; symetrie:nu0; ismounted:bofalse; targetfriend:bofalse; sound:nu6; isinraid:botrue; finish:nu1

Starlight - (though your really shouldn’t need this one to see the big column of light)

gcd:bofalse; soundfile:stUndeadExploration; owntex:bofalse; b:nu0.65098039215686; anim1:nu4; duration:nu0; g:nu0.9921568627451; thresholdinvert:bofalse; ignoremaj:botrue; opt2:nu0; speed:nu1; stance:nu10; icon:stInterface\Icons\Spell_Holy_ElunesGrace; size:nu0.75999999046326; torsion:nu1; multiids:st; stacksOperator:st=; realaura:nu1; timer:bofalse; mine:bofalse; optunitn:bofalse; inverse:bofalse; begin:nu0; off:bofalse; isdebuff:bofalse; textaura:bofalse; customname:st; target:bofalse; combat:nu0; wowtex:bofalse; groupany:bofalse; customsound:st; timerduration:nu0; exact:bofalse; threshold:nu50; unitn:stOnly for raid/group.; bufftype:nu1; stacks:nu0; aurastextfont:nu1; party:bofalse; customtex:bofalse; focus:bofalse; isenchant:bofalse; raid:bofalse; isdebufftype:bofalse; texture:nu22; buffname:stStarlight; anim2:nu0; opt1:nu0; r:nu1; randomcolor:bofalse; y:nu74; alpha:nu0.30000001192093; aurastext:st; x:nu0; texmode:nu1; symetrie:nu0; ismounted:bofalse; targetfriend:bofalse; sound:nu4; isinraid:botrue; finish:nu1