It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Strategy and Discussion: Chimaeron
 Post subject: Strategy and Discussion: Chimaeron
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:56 pm 
Noob

Listen to my podcast, Prefer Not To! It will be just like back when we used Vent, only I can't hear you calling me an idiot!

Post subject: Re: Strategy and Discussion: Chimaeron
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:22 pm 
Noob

Listen to my podcast, Prefer Not To! It will be just like back when we used Vent, only I can't hear you calling me an idiot!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:40 am 
Noob

First of all, screw this guy.

Second of all, draw your attention to this part (Regarding p2/Feud):

"After 15 seconds, he will vomit every 5 seconds, then finish off with another massacre. Use defensive cooldowns, self heals, and help top off all raid members in any way possible. While he casts Massacre, your raid should be spreading out to resume Phase One."

I don't remember how hard stuff was hitting for every 5 seconds (I believe 20kish), but if everyone contributed a LITTLE, it would go a long way here. I DO know our AoE heals weren't quite enough. We should probably set some kind of healing cooldown rotation based on whoever was in the raid to help out (i.e. Ned and I splitting tranquility's, whatever Meanie's big crazy heal is, etc), but it would still come down to others helping out however they can. Keep in mind this phase isn't long and stopping dps temporarily in the name of survival is a lot more helpful than dpsing through it.

It's very clear we need two healers mostly dedicated to tank healing, and that tanks should burn a cooldown or two during 2 stacks of break.

Raid healing seems...not so terrible until Feud, honestly. In looking over a few more videos, it seems like it would be possible for one healer to keep the raid over 10k with a little bit of splash help from Wild Growth, Chain Heal, or whatever else is available. Resto Shammy mastery is hax for this fight.

Last edited by Rosencrantz on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:47 am 
Noob

Other gimmicks that I'm not sure on the usefulness/practicality of but MAY save our rears in P3:

Regrowth glyph (constantly refreshes and ticks on targets under 50% health)

On-use trinkets (especially for tanks) that bring health back up past 10k

Last Stand

Healing Potion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:52 am 
Noob

Finally, sorry, just doing some studying...

...wasn't sure if the tanks were just trading stacks for break or taunting off for double strikes.

One strat calls for one tank full-time tanking, while the OT ONLY takes off double strike. The concept is that the damage increase on the break tank doesn't matter since it would always be a 2-hit death anyway, in addition to break not being a healing TAKEN debuff, just a death strike debuff/self-healing debuff. The OT eats the double strike, which takes him to 1 hp. Rinse, repeat.

FOr all I know we were doing this anyway, though :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 am 
Noob

Few more random strats that would work well with our group (including the first one which addresses my main complaint about druid HoTs for this fight):

"We use Paladin/Shaman on the raid, because their instants are awesome to get people above 10k. The Druid keeps the MT above 10k (which is extremely easy with a Beacon and a Lifebloom stack on him) and helps out on Massacre with Wild Growth. Everyone tops of the OT whenever he has nothing else to do.

During Fued, Resto Shamans are pretty nice on 10M actually. Once everyone is stable for the first Feud AoE tick (which is what Radiance, Light of Dawn and Chain Heal are for), Rejuvenations on everyone help a lot to keep everyone above 10k until the post Feud Massacre, where he goes back to tank spamming."

Some strats also call for different assignments, though. One will say "One person on tanks, one on four raid members, one on teh remaining four," while another will say ...I forget. It's late. Will look more up tomorrow :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:02 pm 
Monkey Lover

Rosencrantz wrote:
Few more random strats that would work well with our group (including the first one which addresses my main complaint about druid HoTs for this fight):

"We use Paladin/Shaman on the raid, because their instants are awesome to get people above 10k. The Druid keeps the MT above 10k (which is extremely easy with a Beacon and a Lifebloom stack on him) and helps out on Massacre with Wild Growth. Everyone tops of the OT whenever he has nothing else to do.

During Fued, Resto Shamans are pretty nice on 10M actually. Once everyone is stable for the first Feud AoE tick (which is what Radiance, Light of Dawn and Chain Heal are for), Rejuvenations on everyone help a lot to keep everyone above 10k until the post Feud Massacre, where he goes back to tank spamming."

Some strats also call for different assignments, though. One will say "One person on tanks, one on four raid members, one on teh remaining four," while another will say ...I forget. It's late. Will look more up tomorrow :P

Another option is to one tank the fight. CRAZY I KNOW, but hear me out. We have fara or arroll or tam or somebody tank the boss in dps gear with dps spec. Yes, the boss will one shot them, but he has a 5 second swing timer so as long as the tank gets a heal or two between swings he's fine. Break stacking doesn't matter - he's dead if he isn't over 10k, and if he is over 10k, he could take eleventy billion percent damage and still live. When the double attack timer comes close, the offtank, who is a real tank like llew or cane in tank gear with a tank spec taunts the boss, eats the double attack, and then the dps tank taunts back. This way we only have to keep one tank topped up, and the only tank swaps are the quick back and forth for the double attack. This also helps with the dps in p3 (the offtank should take him for really realz at this point, since he won't have any break stacks), since you have 6 real dps and not 5.

The only issues are if the dps tank can't taunt after the double strike while effectively holding hate (I know a warrior will lose all their rage when swapping, so if they have to swap to taunt and have no rage left to dps him with...).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:43 pm 
Noob

Menae wrote:
Rosencrantz wrote:

Another option is to one tank the fight. CRAZY I KNOW, but hear me out. We have fara or arroll or tam or somebody tank the boss in dps gear with dps spec. Yes, the boss will one shot them, but he has a 5 second swing timer so as long as the tank gets a heal or two between swings he's fine. Break stacking doesn't matter - he's dead if he isn't over 10k, and if he is over 10k, he could take eleventy billion percent damage and still live. When the double attack timer comes close, the offtank, who is a real tank like llew or cane in tank gear with a tank spec taunts the boss, eats the double attack, and then the dps tank taunts back. This way we only have to keep one tank topped up, and the only tank swaps are the quick back and forth for the double attack. This also helps with the dps in p3 (the offtank should take him for really realz at this point, since he won't have any break stacks), since you have 6 real dps and not 5.

The only issues are if the dps tank can't taunt after the double strike while effectively holding hate (I know a warrior will lose all their rage when swapping, so if they have to swap to taunt and have no rage left to dps him with...).

Not a bad idea, really. A little risky, but I like it. My only concern would be that the break tank would have little-to-no mitigation, so we'd literally be spam-healing him...but that's not much different than normal, really...hmm!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:18 am 
Noob